Saturday 31 August 2024

Wolfcraft flip-bit system

The flip-bit attached

Sometimes I just see something and know that eventually I'm going to buy it. A flip-bit system for power drills. More toys.

The idea here is that you can attach two bits, drills and such to the flip-bit and then it should become handy to switch between the two. Two flip-bits can have four functions at hand. If this sounds a little silly, well, it kind of is and isn't. Read on...

Wolfcraft 3086

I confess I somehow thought the bits would flip magically while in place, but that would be far too magical. You yank the flip-bit out of the locking position, pull it out, turn around and turn to lock.

At first the flip-bit didn't seem fast and I felt I had paid for things I already owned.

Also, this is more for garden bench type tasks, perhaps for someone who doesn't have many tools to begin with.

For these reasons, my first impressions were not all that great, but after using the set a few times I started warming to it.

The flip-bit pieces, with bits attached

The bit that does a drill hole and the countersink hole in one pass, is already of some value in itself. The short drill bits act as they have a built-in depth limiter, and these have their uses too. 

Although I must also point out there are situations where the drills might not reach deep enough. Another downside is you're stuck with the 2,3 and 4 mm drills as normal drills are too long and can't be attached to the system.

The flip bit gimmick requires some more forethought than I usually do, but that can only be a good thing.

I have to figure out what I need for the task, for example attach the countersink+drill into the other flip-bit, tighten it, then insert the relevant screw driver bit to the other side.

Countersink tools and a bit for e.g. screw hooks.

The sides are not symmetric, so you can't attach two drills to the same flip-bit. The driver bits are attached magnetically, while the other side needs to be tightened using a hex key.

After drilling the holes I turn the flip-bit over and re-insert it.

This isn't so much about speed. You can learn to switch bits quickly by holding the drill chuck and using the motor to remove/attach them. At least I don't have to fear dropping and losing small parts.

The whole kit

Usually, a second power drill comes in handy when doing multi-step tasks such as countersinks. But the flip-bit largely removes this need, and there's less to carry around.

The positive sides outweigh the few constraints. The flip action isn't perhaps all that great in and of itself, but the set brings together some order and intelligence. It would be wise to keep these trinkets together in the box they came in and not mix them with other gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment