Sunday, 23 August 2026

Hedgren Next SCRIPT bag

Next SCRIPT

Nearly five years after getting the Samsonite Vectura bag, its zippers started blowing up. This was likely accelerated by stuffing in things that didn't fit properly.

Instead of going to the camping direction with the new bag, I bought something that looked like a modest upgrade from the Samsonite, yet knowing also that certain equipment will fit better inside.

Hedgren Next SCRIPT 15,6" (HNXT05-003) is more rectangular than the Samsonite was, the inside totaling to about 29 x 42 x 17 cm. The nominal volume is actually less (20,7 vs 22 liters), but the longer inside height already means the light collapsible chair fits much better. It looks like the bag has a better posture than the Samsonite.

Weight should be 1kg, I didn't measure it myself. It's not extremely lightweight, but I have the Black Diamond BBEE 11 for very minimalist packing.

I adore my 64

Funnily enough, I had a hunch a breadbox Commodore 64 would fit inside comfortably, and it did. It would go in the old Samsonite, but uncomfortably.

There's an RFID-protected container as a bonus, not that I'd like to keep my cards there, but it's nice to know.

It was by no means required for sealing the deal, but the Hedgren also has the USB outlet for a power bank, just like the Samsonite did. I almost never used this feature, to be honest. The functionality has been thought out better, the cable goes to a clearly separated compartment instead of just to the bottom of the bag.

The rubbery bottom of the bag protects it from water (or spilt drinks from seeping through the bag), but overall I don't think it's especially water-protected. All in all it's more of a flight bag than an outdoors bag.

The USB is still of the A-variety

There's many, many more zippered containers, pockets upon pockets, a laptop and a tablet compartment, a holder for a bottle outside, and a system for setting the bag up with the long handle of an airport roller bag, though I don't think I will need that. I only now realized the Samsonite also had this "smart sleeve".

Pencil holders are missing, but to be honest it would be better to have a separate box for them anyway.

The large number of compartments is not always a positive thing, as it takes some time getting used to. It can take time to find an item, and if one slot has been filled then the one on top of it may no longer be as usable. This points to a solution where some pockets would be better left for card-thin items.

Light collapsible chair+Trangia 27 set+gas+1,5l bottle of water+utensils+cups, all fit rather nicely, leaving space for food and additional bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment